Wednesday, March 25, 2009

US Transportation Secretary LaHood

LaHood:
Today, I'll be sharing my appearance with HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan. Together, we will announce a joint effort to revitalize our downtowns, foster walkable neighborhoods, and bring people, employers, and housing closer together through public transportation.
http://fastlane.dot.gov/200[…]owns-americans-deserve.html
March 18, 2009
Livable communities, the hometowns Americans deserve

Like going home. That's what I've been thinking about my visit to Congress today. I did, after all, serve my hometown Illinois district in the House of Representatives for 14 years. But, the truth is that Congress is not home; Peoria is. And communities like Peoria are the reason I'm going back to Congress today.

When I appear before the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development Subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee this afternoon, I do so on behalf of the Obama Administration, yes, but more importantly on behalf of communities like Peoria.

Fostering livable communities is a key aspect of President Obama's urban policy agenda and Vice President Biden's Middle Class initiative. The way we design our communities has a huge impact on our citizens social, physical, and economic wellbeing. Yet many Americans live in neighborhoods without sidewalks or access to public transportation.

Therefore, one of my highest priorities is to work closely with Congress, other Federal departments, the nation's governors, and local officials to help promote more livable communities through sustainable surface transportation programs. By focusing on livability, we can help transform the way transportation serves the American people and create safer, healthier communities that provide access to economic opportunities.

Today, I'll be sharing my appearance with HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan. Together, we will announce a joint effort to revitalize our downtowns, foster walkable neighborhoods, and bring people, employers, and housing closer together through public transportation.

I can't offer the specifics until the hearing this afternoon, but I can say this: you will see federal agencies working together and sharing resources on behalf of America's hometowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment