Friday, January 23, 2009

Bike Commuting -- Can I Do It?

"Could I do it? I borrowed a bike from one of our national editors who has been commuting by bike for more than 20 years. It was scary at first, riding with traffic on some New York City streets, but once I hit the bike lane along the Hudson River, I felt safe, and made it to the office in less time than it would take in a taxi or on the subway. As a mom with two little ones who has zero time to exercise, bike commuting gives me the added benefit of getting a workout while commuting. So I’m considering trying it out – with my husband’s bike – and I’ll let you know how it goes. Of course, there is that superficial concern I mentioned at the top. What do you do I do about helmet head? It may just be a price worth paying for an easier, cheaper and healthier commute."

This comes our blog via CBS. You can find the rest of the story here: http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/07/16/couricandco/entry4266439.shtml?source=search_story

In the whole story, Reporter Kelly Wallace asks herself the most common questions a woman might consider when making the decision to bike to work.


July 16, 2008, 6:00 PM
Test Drive: Trading In The Car For A Bike
Posted by Kelly Wallace 3

(CBS)Kelly Wallace is a CBS News Correspondent based in New York.
When I was assigned a story for tonight’s CBS Evening News with Katie Couric on bike commuting – how more Americans are getting to work on two wheels instead of four due to gas prices – I had a couple of questions. A few were serious, one somewhat vain. Who is really doing this? Could it be the start of a new trend? Is it safe? (Biking on New York City streets is not for the faint of heart!) Should I consider commuting by bike? And now to the superficial inquiry – what do you do about helmet head?

No comments:

Post a Comment